Old Havana

The places you should consider doing in your visit to Havana, a pulsating capital that dazzles with its majestic fortresses, colorful architecture and magical streets where time seems to have stopped in the 50's


























 

         Old Havana



Old Havana declared World Heritage by UNESCO, corresponds to the oldest part of the city, famous for its plazas, castles and fortresses that once protected the city from pirates and pirates, along with monuments, churches and buildings that Testify to its golden colonial period, very well preserved in its originality by the city historian and his team of archaeologists.


Among its most important sites, stand out its four main places:

The Plaza de la Cathedral, the Plaza de Arms, the Old Square and the Plaza de San Francisco.


One of the main streets is Obispo Street, along its nine blocks goes through art galleries, shops, restaurants and bars.


The restaurants El Floridita and La Bodeguita Del Medio are two representative restaurants of Old Havana, renowned for being the favorites of the well-known writer Ernest Hemingway, who would make famous the phrase: 


"My mojito in La Bodeguita, my daiquiri in      

 El Floridita".



Tasting their cocktails made with rum is a true delight, which can be accompanied by specific foods of Cuban cuisine, while listening to the music of troubadours and small orchestras.




In Old Havana there are also museums including: The Royal Force Castle, National Museum of Natural History of Cuba, Museum of the City of Havana, National Museum of Fine Arts, among others.











           The Capitol




An imposing building built in 1929 on two of the blocks of the Havana Center, although it was conceived to house the parliament, the dissolution of this one with the outbreak of the Revolution, led to its use varied to seat of the Academy of Sciences of Cuba.



Its extensive entrance staircase, its portico of Ionic columns and the huge dome, which stands at a height of 92 meters, are visible from various parts of the city.



   The cannon of the nine






Ceremony that dates from the eighteenth century and consists of a cannon shot, infallibly realized at 21:00 local time from the Fortress San Carlos de la Cabaña, which next to the Castle of the Three Kings del Morro dominates the entrance to the bay of The city and the main port of the Island.










With punctuality beyond accuracy, every day of the year, be it party or mourning, rain, thunder or lightning, even under cyclones and hurricanes at nine o'clock in the evening, not one minute more or one minute less, since The Fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña fires a cannon, calling to check the clocks.





Converted in our days into a showy spectacle, in its origins was the official formula of warning residents and visitors of the Cuban capital, so that from that moment they remained behind the thick walls that for tens of kilometers surrounded the town to protect it against attacks of corsairs and pirates.


Today, from the fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña the usual detonation is carried out by a platoon of artillery cadets dressed in colonial style and with a piece from the 18th century, a sight that deserves to be seen.


            The Malecón


The Havana Malecon is located in Havana, capital of the Republic of Cuba. It comprises a wide avenue of six lanes and a very long wall that extends over the entire north coast of the Cuban capital along eight kilometers.



The beginning of its construction goes back to the very beginnings of the twentieth century, in 1901, during the provisional US government on the island.
Its construction was carried out by successive stages and lasted about fifty years.

The first route 1901-1902 covered from Paseo del Prado to Crespo Street.
The second stretch was 1902-1921 and extended to the Maine Monument.





The third stretch that lasted until the 1930s ended on Avenida de los Presidentes, and the fourth stretch and final 1948-1952 culminated the boardwalk at the mouth of the Almendares River.

Others important monuments stand along the avenue, such as that of Generalissimo Máximo Gómez, that of Major General Antonio Maceo and that of General Calixto García, and important avenues of the capital end up leading to the seafront like Calle 23, Avenida The Presidents and Paseo Avenue.






Other buildings and monuments that are representative of the capital also border all along the avenue Malecon, such as the Castle of the Royal Force of Havana, the Castle of San Salvador de la Punta, the Tower of San Lázaro, the entrance to the Tunnel of La Havana, the National Hotel of Cuba, the American Embassy, and Torreon de la Chorrera. Seven thousand meters of a wide concrete wall make the Havana Malecon the most visited meeting place of the Cuban capital. Its main function besides being a strategic work to stop the water, is to be a center of tourist and local attention. The inhabitants of the island closest to the structure often spend the nights and dawns waiting for the sunrise, drinking drinks and singing with guitars under the stars. The Havana seawall, since its construction has become a sign of the island, identifying it anywhere in the world.


            

            The Vedado




According to the documents of the historian Emilio Roig de Leuchsenring, the creation of the residential neighborhood dates back to the beginning of 1858, with the consent of the parceling of the estancia El Carmelo. Those lands belonged to gentlemen Domingo Wheat and Juan Espino, and they had a total of 105 blocks. However, the place reached its apogee when Don Francisco de Frías and Jacob, Conde de Pozos Dulces, his brother Jose de Frías and Jacob and their two sisters obtained the permission of fractionation of their possessions named just El Vedado.





At the moment this emblematic title continues in the figure of the Spanish Don Ignacio de Jacob and Gómez. The farm ranged from the current Street Paseo to the Battery of La Reina, a mound of land located in the site that now occupies the Hotel Nacional de Cuba.





Only 20 houses made up, in 1870, the small town that flourished on the shores of the sea. The route was born where the corners of Paseo del Prado and Street San Lázaro converge, in the same place where the El Tiburón coffee was set.








Area of ​​old manor houses, eclectic architectures and modern buildings, where most government institutions and offices of foreign companies operate, in pleasant green surroundings, where walks and tree-lined avenues abound. 








Among the most recommended visits are the University of Havana, the Plaza de la Revolution, the Necropolis of Christopher Columbus and the National Hotel, the latter to enjoy a cocktail on its terrace.




Revolution Square José   Martí



Site of singular historical value for being the scene of many of the main events and events of the Cuban Revolution.




In the great esplanade that has been closed the Congress of the Party and several international events and celebrated acts of solidarity with sister peoples, anniversaries of the assault on the Moncada Barracks, the Triumph of the Cuban Revolution and other important events, general assemblies of the people of Cuba , Marches of the fighting people, workers, military and student parades, graduation ceremonies for students and initiation of pioneers, solemn evenings and farewell acts of mourning.


From its termination until July 16, 1961, it was called Plaza Civica.



Necropolis of Christopher Columbus




Necropolis of Christopher Columbus. It is one of the 21 necropolises existing in the City of Havana, Cuba.



It was declared National Monument by resolution of 18 of February of 1987. It is the largest necropolis in America. It has 57 hectares, is the most important cemetery in the country. It has a large number of sculptural and architectural works, which is why many specialists place it as third of world importance, preceded only by Staglieno in Genoa, Italy and Montjuic in Barcelona, ​​Spain.






It is the largest necropolis of America, one of the most valuable cultural level due to the richness of its sculptures and architectural forms. The portico is a monument of Carrara marble, 34 meters long and 21 meters high, with allegories of the theological virtues, charity, faith and hope. The first stone was laid on October 30, 1871 and the works were completed almost fifteen years later, on July 2, 1886. His architect was the Spanish Calixto de Loire, who also designed the first pantheon built in this necropolis, the Gallery Of Tobias.






Epitaph

Here Dolores Rondon
He finished his career
See Mortal and consider
The magnitudes which are
Pride and presumption
Opulence and power
Everything is gone
Because it only immortalizes
The evil that is saved
And the good that can be done.



The Museum of the Revolution




It is located in what was the Presidential Palace. It is considered within the most important Cuban museums, by the amount and value of its heritage, by the extent of its exhibition and by its cultural, historical and political work.






The more than 30 rooms are visited annually by more than 150 thousand visitors from other countries, mainly from the United States, Canada, Argentina, Spain, and other nations of Europe and America, making it one of the most visited in the country. Around nine thousand pieces integrate the collections of the institution, of which about 700 are exhibited in the permanent sample.





In 1909 General Ernesto Aubert, then governor of Havana, decided to build a new headquarters that would welcome the Provincial Government. The project was carried out by architects Rodolfo Maruri (Cuban) and Paul Belau (Belgian), while the construction phase was taken over by the General Contracting Company.



The interior decoration was under the responsibility of Tiffany Studios. The building, projected from the canons of Eclecticism, consumed for its completion a budget that exceeded the million and a half of pesos. Its floors and stairs were covered with Carrara marble.






The dome that crowns the building, covered in its exterior with pieces of glazed ceramic and that was not included in the project genesis, was, in its moment, of the highest of the city. The palace was decorated with paintings and sculptures by Cuban artists such as Armando Garcia Menocal, Antonio Rodríguez Morey, Leopoldo Romañach, Esteban Valderrama, Juan Emilio Hernández Giró, Teodoro Ramos, Fernando Boada, Jilma Madera and Esteban Betancourt.


          

     The Hamel Alley






Located in the area de Cayo Hueso, near the Malecon, it corresponds to an artistic alley of approximately 200 meters of extension, where diverse manifestations of the Afro Cuban culture are made present, through colorful murals, small workshops of artists and products that are Associated with their works and rites.




Apart from its murals, paintings, sculptures and installations of contemporary art that do not leave anyone indifferent, another reason to visit the main temple of Afro-Cuban culture in Havana is music, especially on Sundays at noon, at which time The drums and the rhythms of the best rumba take the place.Located between Aramburu and Hospital streets, Callejón de Hamel is a community cultural project linked to Afro-Cuban culture, which began in the 1990s the painter, sculptor and muralist Salvador González Escalona.His goal was to revitalize a street in the Key West neighborhood, creating a space where art and neighbors could interact, and although at first he had to paddle against the current, time was right.






The alley owes its name to the American citizen of Franco-German origin, Fernando Belleau Hamel, who at the beginning of the 20th century set up a foundry in this area, and whose generosity with the many workers he held was still remembered in the neighborhood.Due to the large influx of tourists in recent times, some argue that the Alley of Hamel has lost some of its charm. Do not believe them. The place continues to be the epicenter of Afro-Cuban culture in Centro Habana.


The mountains of Viñales

                           The Valley of Viñales


The Viñales Valley is a geographical accident located in the province of Pinar del Río, westernmost part of Cuba. Located in the Sierra de los Órganos, most western part of the Guaniguanico mountain range. This valley and great part of the surrounding mountain range was approved in 1999 as one of the National Parks of Cuba and in December of that same year was declared Natural Patrimony of the Humanity by Unesco.

It is located in the municipality of Viñales which is one of the 11 municipalities with which the province counts, exactly in the center of the municipality. Located 178 Km from Havana and 25 Km from Pinar del Río.


                            Qualities of the valley

The traveler who arrives in the valley from Havana, is enjoying the change of tones of the Cuban green, and when up to the valley the change is drastic and awe inspiring; The complicity between nature and silence makes the visitor feel the owner of a majestic natural beauty, which is found everywhere, from the Cave of the Indio, with its underground river, to the Mural of Prehistory, Rancho San Vicente And the fabulous Mirador de Los Jazmines. There are some mountain formations, unique in the island, called mogotes. These mogotes constitute very unique geomorphological formations where some of them reach to measure hundreds of meters of height. These mogotes resemble a great diversity of forms. They are only comparable to those located in China and the Malay peninsula. In the valley there are other elevations, such as Alturas de Pizarras, which are constituted by a variety of rocks, the oldest existing throughout the country and also in the Caribbean area. The best land for growing tobacco.


    The best land for growing tobacco




In the valley of Dos Hermanas, we can find the Mural of Prehistory, which is painted on a stone of one of the elevations.

This mural shows the evolution of life in the natural sense in Cuba.

The Mural of Prehistory is located in the mogote called Pita. It can be found on a perpendicular slope which was cleaned earlier to be able to do this work, the rock was washed and drains were also made in it a little to avoid erosion in the future due to the rain.

It extends to length of the valley by 120 and the 160 meters of length, its author was Leovigildo González Morillo, already deceased, who was Director of Cartography of the Academy of Sciences of Cuba.

In it are represented guanahatabeyes Indians, species of mammals, gigantic animals, as well as some molluscs.


In the Mural can be seen in 12 pieces the evolutionary process of men and animals in the Sierra de los Organs, in its different stages.


As a peculiar feature we have to paint or retouch the existing paint in it covers a complicated and risky process that takes 5 years to complete, is painted entirely by brush.

                The Caves


In the valley you can find several caves like the one of "Jose Miguel" and the one of the "Indian". The last one is a cavern that reaches 300 meters in length, and inside it runs 2 underground rivers. They are very significant in form and originality. There is also the denominated "Queen of the espeluncas", the Great Cave of Santo Tomás, characterized and typographiada by Dr. Antonio Núñez Jiménez, fourth discoverer of Cuba.


        The famous Ox of Viñales



The famous Ox of Viñales

"University" is the name of a trained bull in which tourists ride. According to its owner knows 4 languages.

Varadero Beach

The most beautiful beach in the Caribbean









Varadero is a city of Cuba belonging to the municipality Cárdenas, located in the peninsula of Hicacos, province Matanzas to 130 kilometers to the east of Havana.


To the northeast Punta Hicacos is the most northerly place in Cuba.


It is a special territory of the Republic of Cuba. It is the closest point to the United States, it has 30 km of extension, of which 22 km are beaches. It limits to the north with the Strait of Florida, to the south with the Bay of Cárdenas, to the east with Cárdenas, to the west with the Sabana Camagüey cayana, its population is of 26 680 inhabitants of which approximately 7 000 they live in the same peninsula.


Its main economic line is the development of tourism and the largest workforce is dependent on it.


When in Cuba or any other country it is called "Varadero", it immediately associates that name in first term to a beautiful beach and second to the tourism.


In doing so, it is unknown the ancient history of the area where the famous spa is located. When the well-known Encounter of Two Worlds, as the unforgettable captain Antonio Núñez Jiménez was sitting on the occasion of the 500th anniversary of Columbus's arrival in Cuba, the Hicacos Peninsula was populated by aborigines, the evidence found In the caves of Ambrosio and the Muslims and their, until today, indescifrable pictographs. In the museum of Varadero exposes remains of one of the aborigines found in the flap of the "Cave of the Muslims".


The exposed bone corresponds to a funeral site that is estimated to have existed between 500 years a.n.e. And the first 500 of our era.



The beach of Varadero stretches along the narrow peninsula (between 700 and 1,200 m wide). Its 22 km of beach are characterized by a strip of fine white sand and a gentle descent of its platform towards the sea.


Varadero, which is free port, has conditions for the practice of diving, fishing, yatching, all kinds of nautical activity, skydiving and a congress center.





The Varadero beach, a major tourist destination, is located north of the province of Matanzas, on the Hicacos peninsula, in the Varadero tourist region and in the Matanzas-Cárdenas-Varadero subregion.


The present landscapes of the peninsula of Hicacos are characterized by a rich diversity.






Considered one of the main tourist centers of the country, it captivates by its white and fine sands, and its delicate blue waters, warm and transparent all the year, in which, depending on the place, the bathers can go away tens of meters of the Without completely covering them.


Giron Beach

The best beach for diving in crystal clear waters




Playa Girón is a small beach on the eastern bank of the Bay of Pigs, in the southern center of Cuba, which today is a tourist center. Located in one of the largest wetlands in the world, Ciénaga de Zapata, passed into history in 1961, when it was chosen as one of the landing points for the Bay of Pigs invasion.




The bay is located approximately 30 kilometers south of Jagüey Grande, 70 kilometers west of the city of Cienfuegos and 165 kilometers southeast of Havana, the national capital.





On the western shore of the bay there are coral reefs bordering the Zapata swamp, part of the Zapata peninsula. On the eastern side there are long beaches with mangrove swamps and inland marshes. To the north of the bay, the town of Buena Ventura is located next to Larga beach, and 35 kilometers southeast of Playa Girón and the town of Girón, named after the well-known French pirate Gilberto Girón (c.1604 ).




The bay of Cochinos is located on the southwestern coast of Cuba, in an inlet of the Gulf of Cazones. In 1910 it became part of the province of Santa Clara, in 1961 reassigned to the province of Las Villas and finally, in 1976 when a general reorganization of the six original provinces of Cuba occurred to pass to fourteen (14), transferred to The province of Matanzas.


 Cienfuegos





                   History




Cienfuegos owes its origin to the interest of the Spanish imperial authorities to develop new cities on the island.



It was founded 22 of April of 1819 by French settlers to the control of Don Luis De Clouet. They settled in the peninsula of Majagua and they named the Villa Fernandina de Jagua in honor to the King Ferdinand VII and the Aboriginal lineage. Ten years later, in 1829, the King authorized the change of name of the town that has since been called Cienfuegos, in honor of Captain General of the Island of Cuba: Jose Cienfuegos Jovellanos.


Monuments and places of interest



The streets of Cienfuegos were originally designed to form grids. The eclectic architecture of the city retains abundant neoclassical decoration. It is one of the best routes in Cuba, with wide and straight streets, promenades and parks (the most important is the "José Martí"), modern and old buildings that totally respond to the surrounding area.




The Botanical Garden of Cienfuegos declared National Monument on October 20, 1989. Founded at the beginning of the 20th century by the American Atkins.



The Cementerio de Reina is an exceptional example of its type, and its architecture is inserted in the prevailing neoclassicism in the buildings built in the city. It is the only one in Cuba that conserves its niches for burials. The Sleeping Beauty statue is very famous and has a sister in Genoa, Italy.





The Fortress of Our Lady of the Angels of Jagua is located at the entrance of the Bay of Jagua. Strategically located at the entrance to the Port of Cienfuegos, this castle was built in the eighteenth century (1745) to defend Cienfuegos from pirates and filibusters.


The Tomas Acea Cemetery, where an enormous building of the purest Doric style stands out.


The "Jose Marti" park, located in the center of the city, next to it are the most important buildings, including the founder's house, the Town Hall, the cathedral church and the Terry Theater.


The Tomás Terry Theater, built in 1889, is notable for the state of preservation of its architecture and decoration.

The Palacio de Valle, located at the southern end of the Prado, is a unique construction in Cuba by the union of so many architectural styles.
Estadio 5th de Septiembre, inaugurated in 1977 and with a capacity for 15 600 people.

Santa Clara






                    

                   History


Its capital is the city of Santa Clara also known as the City of Marta Abreu and Che. In the city of Santa Clara rest the remains of Che Guevara. This city, founded in 1689 under the name of Gloriosa Santa Clara, was the head of the region that was first known as Las Villas until finally adopted its current name.



Memorial Sculpture Commander Ernesto Che Guevara. Sculptural set built in the city of Santa Clara. Place where they rest since October 17, 1997, the mortal remains of the Heroic Guerrilla and his companions of the Bolivian Guerrilla. It is also a temple to the value of combatants of various nationalities, some of whom already accompanied the Commander in his battles for the freedom of Cuba, first as an expeditionary of the Granma Yacht and then in the Sierra Maestra. In 2011, the complex received the Provincial Conservation Prize, awarded by the Provincial Center for Cultural Heritage, with the co-sponsorship of the Committee of Historical Heritage of the National Union of Architects and Construction Engineers of Cuba (UNAICC).


The museum is located on the ground floor of the complex. The permanent exhibition of the museum is a chronological journey through the life and work of the Heroic Guerrilla, where through images, photos, objects and documents different stages of Che's life, such as childhood, adolescence and youth, are shown. Emphasis on the family setting where it was formed.



He shows the coat he wore during his days in Santa Clara, when he felt the warm Cuban winter, his uniform, rifle, books he read, and others he wrote.


It shows the link he had with the Cuban revolutionary movement through the stay in Mexico and the subsequent entry to the 26th of July Movement, which led him to be an expeditionary of Granma, guerrilla of the Sierra Maestra, driver with Camilo Cienfuegos de la Invasion to the West and fundamental architect of the Battle of Santa Clara in December 1958.


Che can also be known as executor of the project of Socialism in Cuba, where he held important positions in the country's leadership, and as an internationalist, and appreciate the validity and projection of his figure.
In April 2015, the Complex received part of the personal archive of Cuban investigators Adys Cupull and Froilán González, who devoted their lives to the investigation into the life of Che and the rest of the guerrillas who accompanied him in the Bolivian invasion, between Other chores. With the donation, the institution increased its substantial funds and other objects of extraordinary historical and patrimonial value.


The collection as a whole totals 1 146 elements, and is composed of documents, photographs, some of them original; Photocopies, books, photo negatives and hours of recording, which are recorded on cassettes.


One once classified and ordered, the complex enlarges its funds, which by 2015 surpasses the thousand materials, in letters, documents, photos and other objects and articles that generously dozens of people from all over the world have delivered to the belt .



The final destination of most of the valuable articles received will be the Documentation Center that has been conceived for the site, which includes a reading room so that visitors can access the invaluable sources of information that the site has.


Trinidad

    More than 500 years of history









The city of Trinidad is located in the central region of Cuba, specifically in the south of the Cuban province of Sancti Spíritus, and is the capital of the municipality of the same name. The Villa de la Santísima Trinidad was the third villa founded by the Spanish Crown in Cuba, at the beginning of 1514. The town was founded with the presence of the Adelantado Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar, and it was evolving quickly, which made it possible to be one of The most prosperous of the largest of the Antilles.





The conservation and restoration work undertaken by specialists in this area of ​​south central Cuba, and the love professed by its inhabitants for their city, made it one of the best preserved colonial cities not only in Cuba but also in America, And inscribed in the World Heritage List by Unesco next to the Valley of the Wits in 1988, an area where the sugar industry prospered with the arrival of the Iznaga, Borrell and Brunet families towards the middle of the 19th century.




The sugar production, which enriched the owners of these sugar mills, gave rise to both houses and palaces in Trinidad and in the Valley, which today are the pride of Cuban culture. The date of its foundation is celebrated every year with a Week of the Trinitarian Culture; Museum of History: it is located in the old Palace Cantero, whose former owner was Don José Mariano Borrell and Padrón a local landowner, later inherited by Don Jose Mariano Borrell and Lemus and in 1841 he sold it to the widow of Pedro José Iznaga y Borrell , Doña Maria del Monserrate Fernandez de Lara and Borrell, which house in second with Don Justo German Cantero, name by which the palace is known. This beautiful museum displays pieces and historical documents of the Trinitarian villa.




. Guamuhaya Archaeological Museum: founded on May 15, 1976 shows in eight permanent rooms objects belonging to the Aboriginal communities living in the south-central region of Cuba during the pre-Columbian era, as well as some valuable items from the colonial period , The city and the nearby valleys. It is located in the old Casa de Padrón.



.  Romantic Museum: The Romantic Museum occupies the former palace of the Counts of Casa Brunet, located in the Plaza Mayor of the city of Trinidad. Opened on May 26, 1974, it was the first institution of its kind created in the locality, after the Triumph of the Revolution. The building is an example of the domestic architecture of the 18th and 19th centuries. The building had two stages of construction: the ground floor dates back to 1740 and is known as the home of the Silva and Álvarez Travieso family until 1807, which is bought by José Mariano Borrell y Padrón, who ordered the construction of the upper floor in 1808. Inherited by her daughter Angela Borrell and Lemus was inhabited by her family until 1857 who marched to Spain. It recreates in its fourteen rooms the atmosphere of a typical Trinidadian colonial residence from the years 1830-1860 with a display of furniture and decorative arts from the 18th and 19th centuries.




.  Museum of Colonial Architecture: it has seven exhibition halls and is located in the old house of the wealthy family Sánchez Iznaga, shows the architectural development of the city over the centuries.



.  Casa de la Trova de Trinidad: it is a meeting place for the younger generations, it is housed in a building from 1777 that has been restored for popular enjoyment, where regular concerts are held.

Camagüey






               Camagüey




Camagüey has the largest preserved colonial center in the country, offering visitors numerous buildings with significant architectural and historical-cultural values, as well as interesting museums.






Examples of these tasks are the Plaza de San Juan de Dios, the Plaza del Carmen, Bedoya, the Agramonte Park - former Plaza de Armas -, the Birthplace of Ignacio Agramonte, as well as other plazas and alleys. The Catholic temples that are located in the historical center possess high architectural values where different currents and movements intermingle.





The Metropolitan Cathedral, where the Virgen de la Candelaria, the patron saint of the city, the Parishes of La Soledad, the Santo Cristo del Buen Viaje, the Santa Ana church, the Chapels of La Merced, Sacred Heart of Jesus, Carmen and San Juan de Dios, where Blessed Jose Olallo Valdés (Father Olallo) attended thousands of princes with the sole interest of bringing health to the people.





Camagüey is a city of legends and traditions, one of its most important relics, adorned with a beautiful legend is the SANTO SEPULCRO, located in the Church of Our Lady of Mercy.




Another of the fascinating Camagüeyan legends is the Aura Blanca, which tells of the economic vicissitudes of the construction of a hospital for lepers by Father Varela, another relevant Catholic priest, and the appearance of this bird with its white plumage displayed to raise funds.






A few meters from the entrance of the Cemetery of the Holy Christ of the Good Trip of the City of Camagüey, there is a peculiar tomb that draws attention by the epitaph written on a white marble and that is part of the local traditions:

Santiago de Cuba







                     History


In the city multiple architectural styles coincide, from the colonial and baroque to the neoclassical and the more refined rationalism, passing through the avant-garde and the art deco, which is why it is generally described as a city of eclectic style.


In spite of the inclemencies of the time and the important earthquakes recorded in the Eastern region of Cuba, important samples of the colonial architecture are conserved Santiago. In the streets of Casco Histórico you can appreciate its colonial houses with the characteristic adobe walls, gabled roofs of ceramic tiles, large windows and landscaped inner courtyards.


Santiago de Cuba is the cradle of a large number of musical genres in Cuba. It has been recognized as the cradle of son and bolero, traditional trova and choral expression have a deep rootedness. There were born great musicians, such as Sindo Garay, Ñico Saquito, Eliades Ochoa, Compay Segundo, Olga Guillot, just to name a few.



It is undoubtedly an exceptional city, combining multiple values ??that allow the visitor to get in touch with the idiosyncrasy of its people, the culture and history of the place, while enjoying the exotic nature.
The popular festivals of greater importance are "El Carnaval Santiaguero", the best in the country and "La Fiesta del Fuego".




Santiago de Cuba is located in the Caribbean and has a wonderful geographical situation, thanks to which was the first capital of Cuba, from its foundation in 1515 to 1556. It is an exceptional city, combines values ??and attractions that show the idiosyncrasy of its people.







The culture and history of the place, as well as the enjoyment of exotic nature. It is known as the Hero City of Cuba, a title that was granted for the support of its people to the libertarian deeds of Cubans.



Christopher Columbus had already seen his magnificent and sheltered bay from his first voyages to America. The first conquerors and settlers of Cuba fixed their capital in her since the distant year of 1522, when it was officially declared a "city." The Catholic Church also had the primate seat of the Archbishopric on the island, a title it still boasts.



Santiago de Cuba was also attacked by corsairs, pirates and filibusters, who were in search of riches that were part of what had inherited this territory. In 1554 the French pirate François Le Clerc also known as Jambe de Bois (Pata de Palo) sacked the city of Santiago de Cuba, fleeing from it with a loot of 80000 pesos.